Drake, the name synonymous with chart-topping hits, luxurious lifestyle, and a captivating blend of swagger and vulnerability, is an enigma wrapped in a tracksuit. But beyond the carefully curated public image, lies a man with hidden depths and surprising facets. Here are 5 things you probably didn’t know about the 6 God:
1. From Degrassi to Rap Mogul: Before Drake was serenading the world with his smooth vocals, he was Aubrey Graham, a teenager starring in the Canadian teen drama “Degrassi: The Next Generation.” His character Jimmy Brooks, a wheelchair-bound basketball player, showcased his early acting chops and foreshadowed his future artistic prowess.
2. The Ghostwriting Game: Before Drake became a household name, he honed his songwriting skills by ghostwriting for established artists like Lil Wayne and Kanye West. He even penned the iconic chorus of Alicia Keys’ megahit “Empire State of Mind.” Talk about behind-the-scenes hitmaking!
3. Basketball Dreams: Drake’s love for basketball runs deep. He was a high school hoops star and even contemplated pursuing a professional career before focusing on music. His dedication to the sport translates into his lyrics, filled with references to court strategies and player nicknames.
4. The Humanitarian Side: Beneath the flashy persona, Drake has a compassionate heart. He’s an active philanthropist, supporting causes like youth education and disaster relief through his Drake Foundation. His commitment to giving back speaks volumes about his character.
5. More Than Just Rap: Drake’s artistic ventures extend beyond music. He’s an entrepreneur, co-founding the OVO Sound record label and clothing line. He’s also dabbled in acting, making appearances in films like “Anchorman 2” and “Cash Money.” This multi-faceted talent keeps fans guessing what he’ll do next.
These are just a glimpse into the lesser-known sides of Drake. From his acting roots to his philanthropic streak, these surprising facts paint a more nuanced picture of the man behind the music. So the next time you hear a Drake song, remember, there’s more to Drizzy than meets the eye.